Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Big Day - My First Child was Born!


The nine-months of pregnancy has ended and the big day has arrived! It was 22nd of Dec 2012, the day when my husband will be flying back here from Singapore for my delivery. Actually my due date is still Jan 9, 2013 and technically, it was only my 36 weeks of pregnancy.

Early in the morning of that day, as I remember correct at around 5 am, I felt contractions that was different than others that I had before. That's why I asked my mother to bring me to the hospital because I'm afraid that I'm going to have my early delivery. I was rushed in the ER of Calamba Doctors' Hospital, but then the ER Physician told me that it's only 1 cm, so I still need to go back home and try more walking (to prepare for the delivery). With that, I called my OB/GYN Dra. Manasan and she asked me to ask for room's reservation in case I'll have my delivery on that day. So, after reserving the room, we came back to our house.

Noon time, my husband arrived together with my extended family. I didn't feel any contractions that time but I really had that instinct that I'll be having my baby on that day. And then, I remembered, that I was scheduled for an ultra sound check-up to see if my baby in on the right position. I called my OB/GYN first and asked if I still need to do so and she said yes. So my husband and I went to the hospital just for the ultrasound check. We didn't bring any stuff because we planned to go around the mall after the check-up because elders asked me to have more walking for preparation on my delivery.

I remembered that because of the traffic, we decided to walk some meters just to ride a jeepney. My husband's ex-superior, Ms Carol even saw us walking down the street and asked us if we need a ride but we opted not to because we're out of her way.

Then, we arrived at the hospital around 2 pm. We waited for my turn to be checked and then after the ultrasound, we got the result. When we are about to leave the hospital, we saw my OB/GYN and asked me about my ultrasound result. So, we handed her out the result and we are surprised that she told us that I need to have a C-section right away.

The reason for my early term delivery and a need to do a C-section is due to Oligohydramnios. I am not familiar with the medical term, so I asked my OB/GYN what does it mean. And she told us, it means I have low amniotic fluid. Because of that, I may not have a safe normal delivery thus she needed to do a C-section.

Lately, I tried to search on what does that condition is all about and I found out at the babycenter.com that 4% of pregnant women had this condition normally in their third trimester. Wow, I am just one of those low percentage of pregnant women who had that! It also says that experts don't always know what is the cause of this condition and it is common for those overdue pregnancy. That's why I am surprised, because it's only my 36 weeks then. Also, it says that low amniotic fluid can make complications during labor, so I think my OB/GYN had the right decision to do a C-section since I was near term already.

Going back to what happened at the hospital. When my OB/GYN asked me that I need to have a C-section my husband immediately bring me to the ER and things happened so fast. The nurses prepared me for the operation, and they brought me to the OR. The Anesthesiologist gave me general anesthesia and that was the horrific feeling I had. It's like your eyes are close and yet you are still awake. I still heard the voices of the nurses and the doctors. My husband told me that I entered the OR at 4:00 pm and after 20 minutes I just heard my baby crying. It's funny, but that time there were news about babies who's being kidnapped in the hospital, that's why I am so worried that my baby might be a victim also. When I heard my baby crying, I told the nurses that I want to see my baby and even though the anesthesia made my eyes close I still struggled to open it so I can see my baby's face.

My baby boy weighs 2.6 kgs and has a body length of 47 cm. We named him, JOHN ZACHARY (from the characters in the bible - father and son John the Baptist and Zachariah) JOHN means "God is Gracious" and ZACHARY means "the Lord recalled". Below is he's 1st picture at the nursery station.



After the operation, when I was transferred to my room I still felt the effect of the anesthesia. My mother and my husband were telling me that I keep on talking and talking of non-sense and even raising my hands up. OMG, that was so horrific and yet funny part of my delivery. When my baby brought in our room and I was already rid out of the anesthesia effect, I carry him and had my first breast milk feeding. It was not really easy because I need to get up as my OB/GYN instructed to BMF my baby in a sitting position. The most painful part of the delivery is when they took off the catheter and at the same time they gave a suppository so I can have a poop before they discharged me from the hospital. It's one of the requirement plus you need to pee and fart as well.

But after all of the pains, seeing your baby for the first time is really worth it! The feeling of becoming a mother and seeing your baby that you carry for nine-months is really priceless.

This is one of my greatest achievement as a woman and as I experienced it first time, there should be no fear anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment